At the ripe old age of 26, Mr. Cook has the following items under his belt already...
- Arrest for Murder 1 and Assault 4 (back in 2004!!!)
- Domestic Violence protective order
- Malicious Destruction of Property charges (misdemeanor)
- Substance abuse charges -- open container, drug possession
- Drug dealing charges (Class B Felony)
- A long litany of traffic violations and a fishing violation
So here we have someone who is almost certainly a prohibited person -- having a hat trick of substance abuse, felonies, and DV -- out on the town with three buddies, possibly a gang, trying to bring a loaded weapon into a place where they are forbidden. Who knows what he did in his juvenile years before his murder charge at the age of 19. Exactly what law does Gwen think would stop this? Even if we postulate a 100% citizen disarmament regime, would it have been a less serious crime had Cook stabbed the bouncer with a shiv instead of shooting him?
I couldn't find anything about the 2004 murder charges. I do wonder why someone who's had this many run-ins with the law is still on the streets. While I couldn't find info about the disposition of the cases, murder 1 isn't usually the sort of thing that gets shaken off, and neither is felony drug dealing.
Thankfully the perp either had bad aim, used FMJ rounds which are poor stoppers (but overpenetrate), or both. It looks like the bouncer and the bystander are going to be ok. Hopefully he gets a longer stay this time.