This is Armalite's original response (not to me--but reported from confirmed source):
Dear concerned gun owner,
First of all I would like to say thank you for filling my email with all this spam email.
Second, I am not sure where you got this blanket email from to send out as spam, but please stop it.
Third, The manufacture is not the one you need to convince.
You need to convince the law enforcement agencies and the common people about their mistake in electing these officials and have them removed. Again NOT the manufacture.
AR Stands for ArmaLite…
Master Armorer / Sales Rep.
P.O. Box 299
Geneseo, IL. 61254
Well now. That's a big serving of "shut the hell up, you stupid serf!"
AR then released a statement from their president:
Thanks for posting this email. I just received a concerned telephone call about it, an email from the staffer who stimulated the mail.
I think a bit of clarification is in order.
The root of the matter is a HUGE series of inquiries by both email and telephone asking ArmaLite to cut off sales to New York and other states which deny its citizens the right to own our rifles, as several other firms have done. Some of the contacts have been duplicates of others and some were so redundant that they appeared to be spam. Many of them have been rude and I'm afraid one of my staffers thought that he was responding to a spammer and was more terse than he should have been. Once he realized what happened he came to me and apologized.
My purpose here is to pass on his apology from the corporate level and to answer the initial question: What is ArmaLite going to do?
ArmaLite is continuing a policy put into place when California first banned our rifles. That policy remains:
1. We will not sell to those states which deny it's honorable citizens the right to own ArmaLite's.
2. We do not halt sales to individual officers even in problematic states. I am a former Police Officer myself, and the staffer who stimulated the recent anger is a currently serving one. We are well familiar with the fact that most rifles serving Police Officers are purchased by the officers themselves, and that they shouldn't be punished for the actions of their political elite.
We consider sales to those sate subdivisions which are not engaged or potentially engaged with disarming its citizens. DNR and Forestry Departments, for instance, sometimes serve in remote areas that conceal drug farms and their officers deserve good hardware.
3. We will not sell to those lower political subdivisions that deny their honorable citizens the right to own ArmaLite's. Chicago, for instance, prohibits its citizens from owning ArmaLite's within the city limits so we make no effort to sell into that city. We have many friends on the Chicago Police Department and have continued to sell to them individually.
Our observation is that most County Sheriffs disagree with banning sales of our rifles and many publicly refuse to enforce such laws. We sell to those departments and to their Deputies, but will not sell to those County departments headed by Sheriffs who would deny their citizens the same rights.
In short, Americans need not worry that ArmaLite is selling to those who betray them.
As you can see by reading posts on the topic, some readers have been harsh with their criticism of ArmaLite. It was in response to this atmosphere that my staffer reacted harshly. He's come to me and apologized and I personally am passing my own apology along with his.
But don't be mistaken, ArmaLite is strongly involved with both personal, corporate, and political efforts at the State, National, and International level to protect our civil rights. And we'll continue to support your shooting needs as the situation moves forward.
I strongly disagree with Armalite's policy.
When an otherwise law abiding citizen in upstate NY is safely shooting his undocumented AR-15 with undocumented standard capacity magazines on private property, he could be confronted by a DNR or Forestry Department officer with an ARMALITE rifle.
When a NY LEO kicks in a door to raid a house containing undocumented AR-15 rifles, that LEO could be carrying a personally procured ARMALITE rifle. He may use that ARMALITE rifle to shoot an innocent dog and terrorize a family.
When a NY LEO arrests a good man for possession of a box with a spring, he could have an ARMALITE in his trunk equipped with identical mags to the ones he is confiscating.
Armalite perpetuates the idea that our civilian law enforcement officers are for some reason better than the civilians who they ostensibly serve.
I oppose ALL individual officer sales to ban states. If seven rounds or a duck gun is good enough for a citizen, it is good enough for the CIVILIAN police force. The only exception I would approve of would be the idea of selling rifles to sheriffs who openly pledge to defy State laws at the county level. Otherwise, Armalite is simply arming agents of the state who will enforce draconian gun laws on Armalite's own (former) customers. That is like a gun smuggler in 1774 selling muskets to Tory loyalists while denying sales to Whig Sons of Liberty in occupied Boston; you can't have it both ways.
I bought an Armalite lower parts kit with national match trigger recently. I was planning on purchasing more parts but not anymore. I asked Armalite if I can return it, and explained why. If I cannot do the return, it will not hurt Armalite to sell it on the secondary market, but I will negatively review their product at all times and steer people to companies that actually respect their customers.
What should we call Armalite? Disarmalite? ArmaCop?
- The source for the above information was AR-15.com, including posts by the manufacturer. As a sidebar, they initially tried a tactic of suppression by deleting threads in their industry forum and closing down their Facebook page.
- I have still not personally received a response from Armalite regarding my attempt to return my LPK. I will probably take it up with the distributor.